These cupcakes have 3 layers to it: apart from the cake and the frosting, there is graham cracker crust at the bottom (those that you find in cheesecakes) so it’s pretty unique in a way. I’ve baked these cupcakes thrice already and they always turn out really good! And its a safe thing to bake too, cause chocolate is always a hit with everyone! “The choc and the crust goes well together like cookies and cream” as claimed by jon.
Baking difficulty: Medium (It’s not hard, no difficult techniques and all, just a little troublesome)
Taste review: Must bake!
Chocolate Graham Cracker Cupcakes with Marshmallow frosting
Makes 2 dozen
2 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (not Dutch-processed)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (from about 20 squares)
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- . Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard muffin tins with cupcake liners; set aside.
- . Sift 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix ingredients together on low speed.
- . In a large bowl, mix together eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl and continue mixing on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add boiling water and stir to combine; set cake batter aside.
- . Place graham cracker crumbs, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl; stir until well combined.
- . Place 1 tablespoon graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each prepared muffin cup. Use the bottom of a small glass to pack crumbs into the bottom of each cupcake liner. Reserve remaining graham cracker mixture for topping.
- . Place 2 teaspoons chocolate in each muffin cup. Transfer muffin tins to oven and bake until the edges of the graham cracker mixture is golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and fill each muffin cup three-quarters full with cake batter. Sprinkle each with remaining chocolate and graham cracker mixture. Return to oven and bake, rotating pans halfway through baking, until tops are firm and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer muffin tins to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely.
As for the frosting, I didn’t use the one that came along with the cupcakes because I wanted one that uses marshmallows instead of making it from egg whites and sugar. I always have a phobia from eating eggs that are not fully cooked. Instead, I used this marshmallow frosting which wasn’t that sweet, and it complements the cake as well as the base.
#Tip: These cupcakes are oily so do remember to use dark colored and thick cupcakes liners!
IMPORTANT*** DO REFRIGERATE THE CUPCAKES FOR 2 HOURS BEFORE CONSUMPTION IF YOU FIND THE CUPCAKES TOO OILY!